What To Know
What is Bikram Yoga?
How should I prepare for my first session?
- You don’t need to sign up, but please arrive at least 15 minutes before class. This will give you enough time to register, change, and become used to your surroundings.
- Dress as if you were going to the beach– light, fitted exercise clothing work fine. Avoid baggy T-shirts and pants. A sleeveless top and shorts are best. Don’t worry about shoes – you’ll be doing your yoga barefoot.
- Avoid eating 2-3 hours before class – yoga is always best practiced on an empty stomach. Some people however need to have a little something in their belly (such as a piece of fruit or an energy bar).
- You’ll soon work out what works for you and what your body needs.
- Be well-hydrated! Drink lots of water before coming to class. We should be drinking 2 litres a day anyway, but on the days you do Bikram yoga you should drink 3-4 litres!
- Come with an open mind. Be ready to laugh a little, maybe cry a bit, and to sweat a lot!
How much water should I drink?
LOTS! You can lose up to 1.5 litres of water during class.
You should be drinking 1-2 liters per day, every day. On the days you practice Bikram Yoga, you’ll need up to 3-4 liters.
Most of your water intake should be at least 2 hours before and after class. Don’t fill up on the way to class, or during class (you may barf.)
How often should I practice?
As often as you can.
“For great results, practice three times per week. For life changing results, practice six days per week,” says Bikram. One class is better than nothing. Six classes per week (with one day rest) is amazing.
Do I need to supplement my diet?
Everyone is different – it is a matter of listening to your body. If you’re feeling sluggish, dizzy or even nauseous during or after the class you may be dehydrated or mineral deficient.
Make sure you are drinking plenty of water.
You might also like to try some electrolytes for a perfect ratio of sodium and potassium. Apple and celery juice work great, too.
Can I lose weight?
YES! Whenever you are moving your body, you are burning calories. In a 90 minute Bikram yoga class you can burn between 350-500 calories. You’ll find as you feel better about your body, you’ll begin to make better food choices. Meanwhile, your cravings for sugar, salt and caffeine will decrease, and you’ll eat less junk – good news for your waistline!
Can I start right away?
YES! See our schedule.